Friday, 2 September 2011

Rugby World Cup

In about 7 days and 8 hours time, we will finally be watching some World Cup Rugby. Seems we have heard, seen, read nothing but it lately. Every journalist all of a sudden is an expert selector, commands a deep knowledge of the game and is therefore able to say that so and so will play in the final, or what tactics will get there. Most political decisions over the last 4 years have been in relation to RWC and the IRB and sponsors.

I was over the RWC in 2009 when it became obvious that all our lives will be controlled during this period so that our politicians and the NZRU can look good in front of the world. But as we get closer and I see the hype building amongst the general public I'm starting to get excited by it. 

I've been out to the Auckland Airport the last two days meeting people from Wellington who are here for Huinga Tauira, and seeing buses arriving and leaving has got me thinking which team is on that bus etc. Hanging around Mangere where the Huinga Tauira is, it seems that every second car has at least one (sometimes 3) Tongan flag(s) flying from there cars. Every third car has a Samoan flag. I even saw one that had a Togan and a Samoan flag. Anyway, as soon as I find me a little Russian flag that's me. 

It goes without saying that should the ABs lose NZ will be depressed and it will be left up to the Kiwis to win the 4 nations for us to  feel better again. But win or lose I am really looking forward to seeing the games played and especially the minnows like Namibia, Russia, Japan and Australia will be worth a watch, they know they don't really have a chance so they just going to go have fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment